Saturday, October 4, 2014

The First Essays

Friday morning, and I stood outside the classroom at 9am as students filtered through the corridors. Copybook sand pages in plastic inserts appeared from inside the bags of students that I don't even teach with "M asked me to give this to you or this is from E. By the time I reached my own class I had most of the essays from the sixth years who were away for the day. Even some of the fifth years couldn't wait for their own class and handed them in early, some telling me that they thought that it was the best essay that they had ever written. One fellow told me that he would be very disappointed if he didn't get an A1. I promised to go back over it if he was short marks, but there was no need to as he scored 95%. It took me 8 hours to correct 29 essays. There were three no shows so that means 5 marks lost per day for them. It was great to see how the group discussions worked to the benefit of those students who have little confidence in essay writing. I could see a marked improvement in some of their grades.

No comments:

Post a Comment